Multi Person Race Boat
Construction Materials & Rules For Race Boats Only!
- The ENTIRE boat must be built from paper cardboard & duct tape. Duct tape may be used to reinforce seams. Each team will be supplied ample amounts of double wall cardboard. Duct tape, box cutters, pencil, yardstick etc….must be provided by contestants. Duct tape will be available for purchase during the build session.
- Pre-treated cardboard such as waxed cardboard is allowed, but will not be provided. Painting is not allowed the day of the race. Painting is encouraged prior to race day with contestant supplied cardboard to promote individuality, but must be dry prior to assembly on race day.
- THE ONLY FASTENING MATERIAL ALLOWED IS DUCT TAPE!
- Hull wrapping in duct tape is allowed.
- Participants have 4 HOURS to build their boats on race day beginning at 9:00AM, and commencing at 1:00PM. ALL ASSEMBLY MUST BE COMPLETED ON SITE DURING THIS TIME. ANY PRE-ASSEMBLY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED! Pre-cutting, and decorating is allowed.
- Designs are entirely up to the teams as long as they only use paper cardboard, and duct tape.
- NO wood, plastic, rubber, Styrofoam, fiberglass, or any flotation devices can be used.
- NO caulk, epoxies, glues, varnishes, sealants, or sealant type paints are allowed.
- NO electrical, gas, benzene, propane, or any other chemical propulsion system is allowed.
- ALL PROPULSION MUST COME FROM THE ENTRANTS, AND IS LIMITED TO ONE OAR PER PERSON. THE OARS WILL NOT BE PROVIDED, BUT MUST BE STANDARD SINGLE OARS. DOUBLE OARS USED IN KAYAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED.
- NO surfboard style boats will be allowed.
- The crew compartment CANNOT be enclosed so as to interfere with any necessary escape.
- Each boat must carry a closed gallon plastic jug with a 15ft. rope firmly secured to your vessel. If you have 2 participants your vessel will require 2 separate plastic jugs etc…..
- JUDGES WILL DECIDE ON THE INTERPRETATION OF THE RULES.
- NO boats with more than 2 participants will be allowed to race. It is up to the teams if they want to use one, or more participants during the race. For assembly you can have as many helpers as you would like.
- Every crewmember must wear a personal flotation device (PFD).
- During competition, crew must be IN the boat, not towing it, or holding it between their legs. No swimming, or using the life jacket to aid in boat flotation is allowed.
- NO pets are allowed in the vessel.
- Throwing water on another boat is reason for disqualification.
- Contestants are expected to maintain the decorum and dignity expected of a yachtsmen.
- Sunken or disqualified boats must be disposed of in the proper trash receptacle.
- THIS IS A FUN EVENT! ANY BEHAVIOR DETRIMENTAL TO THE EVENT WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.
- Entrance Fee & Sign Up $40 per team. This includes double wall cardboard.
- Build time - 10:00-2:00
- First race - 3:00
- $40 entry fee. Open to the public!
- Prizes 1st - $150, 2nd - $50, 3rd - $25
HARBORITAVILLE BAR AND GRILL WILL BE OPEN DURING THE EVENT. PLEASE COME DOWN TO WATCH THE BOAT BUILDING, AND ENJOY FOOD, DRINK, AND LIVE ENTERTAINMENT ALL DAY LONG!
There will be food from 12:00pm to 6:00pm